Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kitchen Update-Cabinets

Finally, my dream kitchen is taking shape. It has a long way to go but I am content with the progress. We still have to add the cabinet molding.

I followed this DIY video for prepping the cabinets and then this DIY video for painting the cabinets. It was a tedious project but well worth it! If you plan on doing a project like this, here are my advice tips:
1. Plan to eat out during the process. Your kitchen dishes and pantry items will be hard to get to! I had pantry items stored in my guest room in reusable bags and small appliances against a free wall in my kitchen.
2. Know that your kitchen will look like a hot mess! I hate when things are not in their place and this was the hardest part for me to deal with!!
3. DO NOT TAKE ON THIS PROJECT SOLO. Thankfully, I had my beau Andy with me the entire way. Teamwork!
4. Have a work space. We used a work table in our garage. You will need this for prepping and painting the cabinets.
5. Measure the thickness of your cabinets/drawers before you buy hardware and hinges. We had to make a couple of trips to the hardware store for returns.
6. Have some wine on hand and this project will be much easier to enjoy. :)

Before/After (yes, my pic shows a handle missing but its up now!)

Paint color: Swiss Coffee
Hardware: Aged Bronze

Total cost of paint, primer, hardware, prepping items: $330.00

What's next?
1.Granite Countertops (installed in less than 2 weeks)
2.Removing that 60's tile backsplash and replacing with a modern backsplash
3.Wall color. Planning to go with "High Noon" which is a blue color
4.Dark hardwood floors
5.Center Island
6.Faux ceiling beams (dark wood)

1 comment: